Confirm your age. Are you 18 or over?

Premier round-up: Lancaster win away at leaders

By James Gordon

Lancaster City continued their superb run of form as they sent league leaders South Shields to their third defeat of the season.

David Norris’ second half goal at Mariners Park earned the Dolly Blues their sixth win in seven as they closed the gap on the table toppers to just two points.

It had been 12 points some weeks ago, but both Lancaster and Basford United have been relentless of their pursuit of the favourites.

Basford picked up another win, this time 3-1 away at Atherton Collieries to maintain second spot on goal difference.

Nathan Watson, James Reid and Kane Richards scored the goals, before Jordan Cover’s late consolation.

Warrington Town remain fourth after they registered their first home victory since August, easing past Hyde United 4-1.

Tony Gray scored a brace to bookend the scoring, while Ben Garrity notched a trademark header after Bohan Dixon had restored the Yellows lead following Chris Sharp’s first half equaliser. The Yellows could even afford a rare penalty miss from Jack Mackreth in the first half.

FC United maintained their play-off place with a 2-2 draw at home to Gainsborough Trinity, playing their first league game under new manager Curtis Woodhouse.

Gavin Allot and Jordan Buckley exchanged goals in opening half hour, before Ross Hannah scored barely seconds after coming on as a substitute late in the first half.

In-form striker Tunde Owolabi secured a point for the Reds to keep them fifth.

Bamber Bridge climbed out of the relegation places as they sent opponents Stafford Rangers to the foot of the table with a 2-0 win.

Alistair Waddecar scored a brace for the hosts, meaning he has now scored seven of their last eight goals.

Ashton United’s upturn in form continued with a 2-1 win at Buxton.

They trailed to Diego de Girolamo’s fourth minute opener, but two Josh Wilson penalties turned things around by the 20th minute, earning them a third win in five.

The pick of the games came at the seaside, as Whitby Town fought from two goals down to rescue a point in a 3-3 draw at home to Nantwich Town.

The Dabbers, who will play in the FA Cup first round proper next weekend, had led 2-0 thanks to Joe Malkin’s brace.

Arran Wearmouth thought he had dragged Whitby back in to the match on 73 minutes, only for Sean Cooke’s instant response to restore Nantwich’s two goal lead.

But two Jake Hackett penalties in the last 10 minutes earned a point for Whitby, and keeps them ahead of Nantwich in the table, both with games in hand on those above them.

Radcliffe’s last four league games have ended 1-0, and three times it’s been in their favour, including Saturday’s home game against Stalybridge Celtic.

Ben Wharton’s first half penalty was enough for Jon Macken’s side to continue their steady climb up the table.

Scarborough’s recent revival came to a halt as they were downed 2-1 at Grantham Town.

On-loan Connor Thomson had given the Seadogs a sixth minute lead, but goals from James Berrett and Remaye Campbell earned the the Gingerbreads their fifth win of the season - all of them at home.

Where next?

The NPL Goals Show #4 Our new weekly goals show provides highlights from the Premier Division.
Ossett and Welsh part company Andy Welsh has resigned as manager of Ossett United.

Match centre

Latest photos

Photos from the archives
23 photos
Photos from the archives
Worksop H lge 14-3-20
48 photos
Worksop H lge 14-3-20
Taddy Albion v Workington 2019 20
37 photos

The BetVictor Northern Premier newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.