The Stay at Home - Be at the Game project is a feel-good fundraiser which enables fans to raise money for the club and support its fight to stay alive during the COVID-19 pandemic.
A club spokesperson said: “If we can fill our 500 capacity main stand we will also receive more than £7,000 so this project has plenty of financial meaning for the club.
“The Board feel that this could be an effective way to help us fund our project to relocate the canteen and refurbish the current location to become usable as a classroom and meeting room.”
How it works
- Visit www.beatthegame.org
- Register on the website
- Choose Whitby Town on the drop down menu
- Take your selfie on the website
- Pay for your cardboard cutout
This idea has been used by some German Bundesliga clubs to give the appearance that games are being played with supporters present, despite playing behind closed doors with Borussia Mönchengladbach presenting the highest support for the project so far.
- You will be able to keep their personal cardboard fan once we can reopen the Towbar Express Stadium
- The cardboard fans will be displayed for as long as we can allow before football resumes
- You will only need to make a one off payment of £25 of which £9 goes to Whitby Town. Some of your £25 will also be donated to the NHS
The club will also receive these donations for reaching the targets:
100 cardboard cutouts - £150
200 cardboard cutouts - £200
300 cardboard cutouts - £250
400 cardboard cutouts - £300
500 cardboard cutouts - £350