Hudgell Solicitors Stadium Queensgate Bridlington YO16 7LN
01262 606879


Bridlington Town AFC was formed in their own right on 11th June 1920. They recruited players from the disbanded Bridlington Discharged Sailors and Soldiers Football Club and formed a second team from The Bridlington Grammar School Old Boys. The first team were entered into the 1st Division of the East Riding County League with the second team being entered into the Hull Amateur League 1st Division.

In their first season Bridlington Town AFC won the East Riding Senior Cup 2-1 vs. Gilberdyke played at Anlaby Road Hull and reached fifth place in the League. Town went on to win the East Riding Cup the following two seasons and won the 1st Division title on three consecutive seasons 1921-22,1922-23 and 1923-24.

At the end of the 1924-25 season Bridlington Town were admitted to the Yorkshire League.

Bridlington Town the story so far...
After the First World War a group of school leavers, anxious to continue their enjoyment of football, decided to form their own club, which they named Bridlington Centrals.

At first they competed in the Driffield & District Minor League and in due course they had to move up to the Driffield & District League. Eventually, they found themselves in the East Riding Amateur League where they enjoyed a fair amount of success which was climaxed by five consecutive championships in the fifties.

In the same period Centrals also carried off the East Riding Senior Cup on two occasions and this success encouraged them to join the Yorkshire League in 1959 under the changed name of Bridlington Town.

The club immediately finished runners-up in Division Two and qualified for promotion to the First Division. They also reached the first round proper of the FA Cup for the first time where they lost to the then mighty Bishop Auckland.

Soon after another FA Cup tie attracted the record attendance for Queensgate when 2,102 spectators saw Town take on neighbours Scarborough. In 1967 Bridlington dominated the Yorkshire League but Town had to settle for second best to Bridlington Trinity although some consolation was gained by winning the East Riding Senior Cup again. Town had also won the League Cup in 1960, 1961 and 1966. In 1982 the Northern Counties (East) League emerged from the amalgamation of the Yorkshire and Midland Leagues.

Town were placed in Division One (North) but were elevated to the Premier Division in 1986 following the resignation of a number of clubs to join the Northern Premier League. In 1988-89 the club achieved their best placing, finishing third and defeating champions Emley in the League Cup Final. Town also recorded their seventh victory in the East Riding Senior Cup beating Hull City 1 - 0.

The following year Town were finalists at Wembley for the first time in the FA Vase, in front of a crowd of 7,932, the game finishing 0 - 0, the only ever Wembley final to be goalless, with Yeading winning the replay 1 - 0 at Elland Road 9 days later.

During the intervening period between the final and the replay Town had to play Hull City in defence of the East Riding Senior Cup, the League Cup against Ossett Town and a league game.

During this period Ken Richardson had joined the club as President and was instrumental in assisting the club with the necessary finance to develop the ground by building a new stand, clubhouse, turnstiles and floodlights. Town were now regarded as one of the strongest teams in non-league football and reached Wembley again in 1993, this time in front of a slightly bigger crowd of 9,061, and this time returned the victors one nil over Tiverton Town, thanks to a goal from Alan Radford. Town also won the Northern Premier (Unibond) League First division. Due to legal wrangles the team moved to play their home games at Doncaster Rovers ground and then folded, leaving Queensgate with no football during 1993 - 94.

Following the disbanding of the Semi-Pro side after the 1993/94 season an ambitious local 'PUB' side, The Greyhound, were inspired to make an approach to the lease-holders with a view to making the Queensgate ground the base for The Greyhound team. A deal was struck with the proviso that the club change their name to Bridlington Town AFC. A new club crest was designed and a new motto 'Pergere et Eniti', broadly meaning 'Onwards and Upwards', was adopted. The new era began on 10 September 1994 when the new Bridlington Town AFC took to the field for their first league game against Viking Panthers in the Driffield and District League Premier Division in front of 200 spectators. Many local observers speculated as to how long the club would survive at Queensgate with the obvious financial burden, but the team completed that season in their new home finishing fourth in the league and also reached the final of the East Riding Senior Country Cup.

Steady progression saw the club join the East Riding County League Division One, where the League and Cup Double was achieved. Over the next three seasons in the County Premier Division the club continued to improve and made application to the Northern Counties East League. It was on the third application that Bridlington Town was accepted, having finished runner up in the league but beat the league champions in the league cup final of 1998-99, under manager John Bowman. A fifth place finish in that first season back in the NCEL was creditable, but at Xmas in 2000 the club had slumped to mid-table. Bowman was replaced by Billy Heath, and he took the club to a 4th place finish.

Town’s 3rd season back in the NCEL saw an 18 game unbeaten run lift Town to finish Division One Runners Up and gained promotion to the Premier Division. The 2002 - 2003 season started with a continuation of the good form and 14 straight wins in all competitions. Town also reached the 4th Qualifying round of the FA Cup, losing away at Conference side Southport, and the qurater final of the Vase, losing away at League rivals and eventual Vase winners Brigg Town. Another incredible run of league form saw Town lose only one of the last 26 games and the Club finished as Champions with a fantastic 20 point winning margin to gain promotion to the Unibond League for 2003 - 2004
Winter postponements and the cup success saw Town playing three games each week through March and April and the heavy toll caused Town to "sacrifice" the cup success for the league title. To ensure promotion, Gary Wilkinson of Wilkinson Caravans, the main sponsor, also secured the purchase of Bridlington Town AFC Ltd from the former owners thus ensuring the future of the club. The season in the Unibond Division One saw injuries and suspensions take their toll in the second half of the season but the club finished in 11th place to complete A third successive promotion, this time to the Unibond Premier Division, that was due to the reorganisation of the league and meant the new club had returned to the status held by the former club when they folded, and had achieved this in just ten seasons.

Gary Wilkinson was unable to continue with the club any longer due to financial constraints, and Pete Smurthwaite, of PBS Construction, bought the club. and after the resignation of Billy Heath Pete also has a spell as Town Manager but brought in Paul Marshall unfortunately things did not work out for Marshall and he was replaced by the management team of Ash Berry and Paul Stoneman with the help of Coach Grant Crookes who after a year in charge were also replaced by the temporary charge of former Grimsby Town defender Mark Lever with the help of Peter Smurthwaite Town finished bottom of the UniBond league and were relegated back to the Northern counties east league.

2008-09 season Chairman Peter Smurthwaite appoints Tim Hotte and Gary Allanson as joint Managers, and the club finishes a respectable 4th position in the league and lost to UniBond Premier side North Ferriby in the East Riding senior cup final at the KC Stadium and within days the Management team had resigned from the club due to personnel reasons. but within days and to the delight of the Town supporters Gary Allanson had a change of heart and was back in the hot seat appointing club Captain Phil Harrison as his assistant and the pair proved to be an instant success as the club went on to win the league by 11 points and scoring 123 league goals along the way

2010-11 Another good season and Town were in the race to retain their title but just fell short losing out to Farsley with Parkgate being runners up. Town fans were left shocked when Manager Gary Allanson had decided to leave the club at the end of the season and was involved in helping select his successor and that was to be Mitch Cook the former Scarborough Town and Pickering Town Manager who will take charge for the 2011-12 season, in Cook’s first season Town finished runners up to Retford missing out on the title by one point but were successful in the East riding cup beating Hall Road reserves 9-2 in the cup final at the KC Stadium in Hull.

2012-13 and Town had another good season under Mitch Cook finishing in third place with a massive 95 points and scoring 137 league goals along the way, this was to be Cook’s last season in charge as he announced he would have to stand down due to work commitments.

2013-14 Seasiders fans were delighted to see former Manager Gary Allanson return despite a big rebuilding programme due to players leaving it wasn't a great season with the club finishing 12th in the NCEL and losing 5-2 to North Ferriby in the senior cup final.

2014-15 Another season under Gary Allanson would see an improvement on the previous season with an 8th place finish in the league but some silverware in the East Riding Senior cup after a 4-2 win against Hull United where Craig Hogg scored a hat-trick.

2015-16 the ever improving Seasiders managed a 5th place finish in the NCEL and also got to the League cup semi-final losing 1-0 to eventual winners Cleethorpes Town but the club went on to retain the East Riding Senior cup after an impressive 1-0 win over North Ferriby United.

2016-17 The Seasiders didn't have the best of starts to the league campaign but did have their best run in the National cup competitions for a number of years reaching the FA Cup 2nd qualifier and taking Harrogate Town to a replay it was a goal from former Seasider Chib Chilaka scored a 89th minute that won the replay 3-2 for Harrogate. The club also went on to the first round of the FA Vase. It was after a 3-1 away win at Harrogate Railway that the club was shocked by news that Gary Allanson announced he would be leaving due to personal reasons, Chairman Peter Smurthwaite acted swiftly and appointed former professional footballer and British boxing champion Curtis Woodhouse along with former Hull City Legend Ian Ashbee as his assistant. The Seasiders went on an amazing 14 match winning run that saw the club close in on the title race but we just fell short in the end with a third place finish but the club had success in the East Riding Senior cup final beating Hull City 4-2 in the final the club also made it to the League cup final losing 4-1 to Penistone Church FC at Bramall Lane.

2018-19 it wasn't the best of seasons to what we would usually expect at Bridlington Town, due to work commitments inspirational assistant manager Ian Ashbee left the club and was replaced by former Seasiders player Mally Parker. we also suffered injuries to key players like Nicky McNamara on the opening day of the season that ruled him out for the season also Jamie Forrester and Brett Agnew. The club also lost key players to North Ferriby United. So Curtis had to rebuild his squad halfway through the season. One of the highlights from the season was the success of local lad Jake Day who scored 48 goals and finished the top scorer in the NCEL Premier division. We finished a disappointing ninth in the league, we also lost in the league cup semi-final to AFC Mansfield, and we reached the East Riding Senior cup final where we lost 2-1 to Hull City at the East Riding FA headquarters.

2018-19 A number of regular players left the club as Curtis Woodhouse was building a new team that he believed would be good enough to challenge for promotion and with wins in the league and the FA cup it was looking quite promising. On Sunday 9th September Curtis Woodhouse announced he would be stepping down as Manager with immediate effect and Brett Agnew and Anthony Bowsley would step in as caretaker managers. After just three games in a caretaker roll Brett and Anthony were given the roll as the full time Management team and it turned out to be a successful one finishing third in the NCEL and also winning the East Riding Senior Cup beating Hull City u23s in the final.

2019-20 A season where three promotion places were available the gaffer Brett Agnew and assistant Anthony Bowsley put a good side together and were well in the race for promotion when the season was ended due to the covid-19 outbreak meaning no teams were promoted.

2020-21 Another disrupted season due to the Covid pandemic saw the season ended after just nine games the Seasiders finished with 7 wins and two defeats. Due to a new league formation in the Northern Premier League Bridlington were offered promotion to the new East division which was accepted by the club.

2021/22 A new season in a new league and hopefully no more disruptions, the gaffer Brett Agnew feels this is his strongest squad in his time at the club.

........The story continues

The Pitching In Northern Premier League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.