Saturday's South Division action review

By David Watters

Basford United moved back to the top of the EVO-STIK League South table on Saturday after winning 1-0 at Leek Town to remain unbeaten while overnight leaders Cleethorpes Town suffered a first defeat of the season, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.

Basford missed the opportunity to top the table in midweek when they could only manage a draw against lowly Gresley FC, but Ashley Grayson`s 35th minute effort at Harrison Park ensured they did reach the summit on Saturday.

Helped, however, by Cleethorpes' first loss since gaining promotion as Toolstation Northern Counties East League champions. A penalty converted by James Lee 11 minutes from time eventually proved to be enough for Newcastle at the Lyme Valley Stadium.

Stocksbridge Park Steels are third after they were held to a 1-1 draw by improving Gresley at Bracken Moor.

The Moatmen may still be lying second bottom with only eight points but very creditable away draws at Basford and then Stocksbridge shows a big improvement.

And they had to come back from being a 19th minute Brodie Litchfield goal down to win, courtesy of Ryan Robbins` 71st minute penalty.

Frickley Athletic are fourth but were held to a 2-2 draw at Loughborough Dynamo.

The home side were boosted by a first-minute Karl Demidh effort and the Ali Smith doubled their advantage in the 37th minute. Crucially, Teddy Bloor pulled one back just before the break and Frickley levelled through Jacob Hazel`s penalty just after the hour-mark.

Stamford AFC moved into the top six after beating county neighbours Lincoln United 3-0 at the Zeeco Stadium.

In front of a crowd of 323, Bradley Fortnam-Tomlinson gave the Daniels the lead just before the break. And then eight minutes after it, Pearson Mwanyongo increased the hosts advantage which he then added to 20 minutes from time from the penalty spot.

Corby Town's winning run under caretaker-manager Steve Kinniburgh continued as they made it five in a row by beating Carlton Town 2-1 at Steel Park.

In front of a crowd of 397, Carlton took an early fourth minute lead when Jordan Wilson beat the offside trap and then beat Sam Wilson to open the scoring.

But the Steelmen were back on level terms after 18 minutes when Steve Leslie's free-kick found the corner and they were given a further boost before the break when Carlton`s Jake Carlisle was sent-off. Corby made the advantage count, taking the lead in the 56th minute through Sam Mulready after a Paul Malone header had been parried into his path.

Spalding United comfortably saw off third-bottom Sheffield FC 3-0 at the Sir Halley Stewart Field, thanks to a hat-trick from Jamie Jackson.

Jackson opened his and the Tulips account after 33 minutes but it wasn`t until the final few minutes that he went on to complete his hat-trick.

Peterborough Sports, who had gone four games without a win, smacked bottom side Romulus 5-1 at home.

Mark Jones gave Sports the boost of an early sixth minute penalty but it wasn`t until the second half that they really set to work, with Dan Bannister doubling their lead after 58 minutes and, after Louis Harris had replied for Roms in the 70th minute, Josh Sanders bagged a brace in the 75th and 78th minutes before David Cobb made it a nap hand 4 minutes from time.

Alvechurch edged out Chasetown 2-1 at Lye Meadow, with the Scholars leading through Will Whieldon's 15th minute opener until the 77th minute when Jamie Willetts equalised and then Josh March popped up with 'Church's winner in stoppage time.

Bedworth United made it four successive wins and with ten-men at home to Kidsgrove Athletic.

Anthony Malbon gave Grove a 28th minute lead at the Oval and then, on the hour-mark, veteran defender Mark Albrighton was shown a straight red card for conceding a penalty that Tim Sanders converted.

But the ten-man rallied and 10 minutes from time Reece Blackmore reduced the arrears. Levi Rowley then bagged a brace on 83 minutes and in stoppage time to turn the game in the Greenbacks favour.

Elsewhere, new Market Drayton Town boss Carl Abbott saw his side share a 1-1 home draw with Belper Town in which George Bowerman cancelled out Leandro Browne`s 10th minute opener for the Nailers a minute before half-time.

Follow us: @evostikleague on Twitter | Facebook

Where next?

Quartet all set for live cup draw Expectant fans, players and officials from the EVO-STIK League's quartet of final flag-bearers in the Emirates FA Cup will be tuning in to Monday night's draw for the first round proper live on the BBC and BT Sport.
Saturday's North Division action review EVO-STIK League North leaders Bamber Bridge failed to make the most of the involvement of South Shields in the Emirates FA Cup on Saturday, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.

The Pitching In Northern Premier League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.